Monday, February 14, 2011

Seeing the Diamond in the Rough...

So Craigslist can be a scary, scary place that can be overwhelming to navigate.  At times, Craigslist is a treasure trove of amazing deals on vintage, one-of-a-kind items.  Other times, it is a whole bunch of garage sale rejects that get my germ radar to humming just by looking at their pictures.

However, a few weeks ago, I saw this listing for a vanity & bed frame, and it caught my interest.  However, the seller wanted too much, and the weather was funky, so I ignored the listing.  However, a week later the listing was still in the back of my mind and available.


 However, when we got there it had this *hideous* brown finish that frightened me.  What I thought was creamy white furniture that just needed a tune up (wipedown and handle change) now needed a major overhaul.  It looked more like this:



I think I physically gagged when I got out of the truck.  However, there was potential.  The furniture was old... It was even built with biscuit joints and wood peg construction and was sporting some FABULOUS antique casters on the bed frame, so I bit the bullet and brought it home.

I got to work with my Oh-So handy sander... I have spent so much time with this one tool that I might have to will it to someone when I die :)  Let me know if you're interested...



As soon as some of the finish left, the potential was so overwhelming...


Here is the finished product.  Drumroll please...




We were going for this lovely creamy but still a little rustic finish.


The vintage glass knobs were a Ebay find.  Love them!



So now I am off to redo an entire room to find room for my newest find... That is, if I can stay away from Craigslist long enough... *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment