Sunday, February 6, 2011

I've had enough...

I am the child of a "junking" mother... I spent a large amount of my childhood making steeples with my hands in antique stores so that I would not dare break some priceless heirloom.

The result of this upbringing is an adult who *covets* vintage furniture and NATURAL wood.  But, I had to draw the line in my kitchen... It was wood toned floor, wood toned table and chairs, wood toned island.  Brown, brown, and yes, you guessed it... More brown!

To break up some of the brown, I decided to apply my favorite shade of turquoise to my bar stools. 


I forgot to take the before picture, but you can tell in this picture what I was working with...


See, the barstools were fine before.  But... They just did not fit our style - which we have lovingly coined "Redneck Chic".  Not contemporary, not country, not shabby chic.  A little bit of all of the above.  Kinda like Pottery Barn with a deer hanging on the wall :)

So to transform the stools, I first gave them a good sanding with a high grit sand paper, and then dry brushed them with that dark, gorgeous turqoise paint. 


I loved the weathered and worn finish that gave, and had a hard time moving on from this point.  But, knowing that these stools are the favorite perch of my two angels, I then applied two coats of satin poly-eurathane. 


Poly always has a way of deepening the color of a paint job, and here, it definitely did just that.  So the final product was this... So happy with the splash of color in my kitchen now!


Does anyone else have a piece of furniture that is getting under their skin?  Have paintbrush, will travel...

No comments:

Post a Comment